Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 11:38:33 -0500
From:      Kevin Weiss <kevin.weiss@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        andrew@monsta.dgap.mipt.ru
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with X window

At 01:09 AM 6/22/99 +0200, you wrote:
>On Tue, Jun 22, 1999 at 02:36:30AM +0400, Andrew L. Neporada wrote:
>> Hi All!
>>
>> I have some problems with X.
>> It sometimes hangs up and locks my keyboard while exiting, but system is
>> still alive and allows access via Internet (telnet etc). I'm using FreeBSD
>> 3.1 and XFree86 Version 3.3.3.1 (release date December 29, 1998).
>> It usually happens each 2-3 days. I'm not using xdm, only startx.
>> I've tried recompiling the kernel with option XSERVER but it didn't
>
>What window manager do you use? Maybe the trouble is to find there
>rather than in the kernel!!??
>
>--
>                           __o
>regards, Gunnar       ---_ \<,_

I agree.  X Window is very stable by itself.  Your WM could be messing up the
situation.  Also, other programs could be doing it.  Do you run a program
does fully work when you run it? Maybe it didn't exit fully out of memory.  I had
this happen when I installed X11amp 0.8 from my FSBD 3.1 Release.  That
app (and the other processes that started with it) would lock up my keyboard
almost every other day.  The only remedy was to reboot.

So try another WM and watch what programs you're using.  I recommend running
"xosview" to monitor CPU utilization.