Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 13:13:57 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@schweikhardt.net>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Handbook installkernel request

Hello Jens,

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 12:32:24PM +0200, Jens Schweikhardt wrote:

> hello, world\n
>
> I'm looking at the 4.2-R Handbook,
> file:/usr/share/doc/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html

OK. Before reporting bugs in the documentation, always look at the version
on the web, in this case at:

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/

since the Documentation Project is an ongoing effort, the docs change all
the time. You can also download them from:

ftp://<your mirror site>/pub/FreeBSD/doc

in various formats. Or, if you feel like it, you can install the
textproc/docproj port, and then use cvsup to get the source for them (use
examples/cvsup/doc-supfile as appropriate) and this even enables you to
contribute by sending in diffs:-) and you can regenerate the docs at any
time from them.

> This chapter probably needs updating for latest kernels, in particular
>
>     # cd /usr/src
>     # make buildkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL
>     # make installkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL
>
> needs KERNCONF instead of KERNEL. And you should also add a paragraph
> on /boot/device.hints because without it this is what happens:

This particular goodie has been already corrected:-) So 4.3-RELEASE already
went out with the correct version. Nothing to be done now:-)

> root@hal9000:/usr/src # make installkernel KERNCONF=HAL9000
> cd /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HAL9000;  MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj  COMPILER_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/libexec:/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/bin  LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/lib:/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/lib  OBJFORMAT_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/libexec  PERL5LIB=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/libdata/perl/5.6.0 MACHINE=i386 make KERNEL=kernel install
> You must set up a /boot/device.hints file first.
<...>

This feature is -CURRENT only, so let's not confuse people with it. by the
time 5.0 hits the streets, it will be in the docs. The docs do not support
-CURRENT in general since it changes too quickly.

BTW this error msg is even a good thing(tm). Earlier, when it let you
build, install a new kernel and even reboot without a device.hints file,
you really were in for a tough time, when upon reboot the machine lost the
keyboard and the console and would display nothing on the screen any more
or react to keys pressed (although it could come up alright and if you
were lucky you could get into it by network:-)

> PS: I'm upgrading from 4.2-R to a -current system, and this may well be
> not the scope of the 4.2-R handbook chapters; in this case feel free to
> ignore this mail :-)

No probs, we are here to answer:-)

Schoenes Wochenende noch!
--