Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2002 12:13:23 -0800
From:      scott worley <folokai@earthlink.net>
To:        Munish Chopra <mchopra@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Samsung ML-1210 Laser Printer

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002 15:10:56 -0500
Munish Chopra <mchopra@engmail.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> I recently purchased a Samsung ML-1210 Laser Printer, but can't seem to
> get it to work (then again, I've never installed a printer in anything
> else than Windows before).
>
> I first tried the 'standard' procedure also described in the handbook.
> The 'data' light on the printer flashes for a bit, then there is some
> activity (as in parts of the printer moving), but it never gets to
> actually moving paper in and printing.
>
> I then tried apsfilter, no luck there either. I used the standard
> ghostscript and non-ghostscript drivers, but nothing.
>
> Cups was my last resort (though it's nice not to have a boatload of
> dependencies like apsfilter). This didn't work either though.
>
> For all of the above, the printer mostly seems to have some 'pre-print'
> activity, then just sits there. 'lpq' shows active queues (for example,
> here is some output from when I was using cups):
>
> rn-re116a13# /usr/local/bin/lpq
> Samsung is ready and printing
> Rank    Owner   Job     File(s)                         Total Size
> active  root    3       losscode.ps                     268288 bytes
> 1st     root    4       losscode.ps                     268288 bytes
>
> I made a second attempt at using cups using the .ppd file Samsung
> supplied on a CD, but no luck there.
>
> This is on a -CURRENT system from Feb 3. I'd appreciate any help or
> hints anyone could give me. Thanks.
>
> Please cc any replies.
>
> --
> Munish Chopra     The FreeBSD NVIDIA Driver Initiative
>                   http://nvidia.netexplorer.org

Hi,

I have the same printer.  This printer is a GDI device meaning it's cheaper because it depends on the driver to do most of the rendering work. For *BSD or Linux you must setup the print system, lpd, LPrng or CUPS to filter the document through a version of ghostscript which supports this printer.  The CDROM which came with this printer has versions of ghostscript for Linux in rpm format.  It also has the source code for the ghostscript printer driver, gdevgdi.c

What I did to make it work with CUPS was:
1. Copy ML-1200-gdi.ppd from the Samsung CDROM to /usr/share/cups/model or /usr/share/cups/model/samsung if samsung subdir already exists
CUPS can now ID your printer and let you choose it from the cupsadmin webpage, accessed from http://localhost:631/

2. Dowload the two scripts, cupsomatic & foomatic-gswrapper from http://www.linuxprinting.org  These are perl scripts which help cups. Copy them to /usr/lib/cups/filter with permission 755.

3. The hard part.  If you are lucky you might have a ghostscript has been patched to support this printer.  I've only seen this on Debian Linux.  Run gs -h and search the output for 'gdi'. If you find 'gdi' you don't need to change ghostscript.  I know that FreeBSD 4.5's gnu-ghostscript 6.20 does not support gdi printers.  AFPL gs 7.0x doesn't either.

4. If ghostscript has no 'gdi' support you must patch the ghostscript source, re-compile and install.  I used /usr/ports/print/ghostscript-gnu which is gnu-ghostscript version 6.52

If you want to try this, e-mail me direct.  I still have the modified Makefile for gnu-ghostscript.  I did get the printer to work with cups but can't guarantee this will work for everyone.  The gdevgdi.c samsung provided is for ghostscript 5.x.  It seems to work for most simple printing tasks.  The only trouble I've had is with some PDF's.

scott
folokai@earthlink.net