Date:      Wed, 25 Mar 1998 06:35:34 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew <perrya@python.shoal.net.au>
To:        CerealMaN <ekidd@email.msn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp dial fail

> hi, i keep getting this problem "dial failed" when i try to dial out.... i
> have all my info set up, but no clue whats wronge.... also when i try the
> other com port i get a bigger error "open modem failed: /dev/cuaa0: device
> not configured.... Windows says my com port is 1, but it seems like its 2...
> whats gonig on here????

dial failed could mean a number of things, line busy, no answer and maybe
some others. If you get an error on /dev/cuaa0 then I'd stick with
/dev/cuaa1 especially if you get dial failed which indicates that at least
you are getting a response from the modem.

When you get to the ppp ON host> prompt type "term" (no quotes)  and enter
the commands to the modem directly. eg: atdt22114455 or whatever your
phone number is, this way you can check out what is happening in
interactive mode.

When you typed dial did your modem ring? Did anything answer?

Andrew Perry