Date:      Sun, 23 Nov 1997 17:31:21 -0500
From:      Geoffrey Robinson <grobin@accessv.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't get lpr working.

Hi, I've just finished setting up lpr for the first time and I can't get
it to work. When I enter the test line

   lptest 20 5 | lpr -Pprn

I get the error message

   lpr: connect: No such file or directory
   jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.

I know my printer is set up correctly because I can print things
manually by re-directing output to /dev/lpt0.

I'm not sure if this error is caused by something that I entered wrong
in /etc/printcap or something not set up right in my kernel, I'm pretty
new to Unix right now.

My setup files are as follows

#
# /etc/printcap
#
prn|lp|EPSON LQ-570+ ESC/P2:\
   :sh:sd=/var/spool/lpd/prn:\
   :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
   :if=/usr/local/libexec/if-simple:
^D

#!/bin/sh
#
#/usr/local/libexec/if-simple
#
/bin/cat && exit 0
exit 2
^D

if-simple is set as 555

I'm using a custom kernel but I tested it on the GENERIC kernel as well
so I don't think its something I messed up in there. Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give me.

--
Geoffrey Robinson
grobin@accessv.com