Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 1998 12:38:43 +1100
From:      "Joe Shevland" <joe.shevland@horizonti.com>
To:        "Philip Sydney Lavers" <psl@ign.com.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: i downloaded java now what?

Apologies for any paragraph mangling that occurs as a result
of using an as-expected shocking M$ mail client.

> I have down loaded java and installed it in /usr/local/jdk1.1.5 as
> recommended
> I did this because my Netscape 3.01 will not view a web site,
> www.geobits.com that my kids gave me as a birthday present, although any
> of my win95 browsers see it ok
> I thought the problem might have been a lack of java on my system

Browser's use their own virtual machine, so you don't need to have
a JDK or JRE installed.

> Now I have more problems that I am not competent to solve:
> 1
> I had to su to root to get the tar to work. now Icant get into the
> /usr/local/jdk1.1.5 as an ordinaryt user

Use 'chmod' and 'chown' to alter permissions on the files that have been
installed. These routines use octal values to specify read/write/execute
permissions. Although I would have thought the installation process would
fix permissions for you.

e.g. chmod 777 'filename' will give owner, group and world read, write and
execute privs.

> 2
> even when i su back to root and get ino /usr/local/jdk1.1.5/demo/Clock
> say what do I do to run the demonstration?

'appletviewer <html.file>' from the command line will work, as will navigating to this
directory using a browser (I've set up apache on localhost to do this).
Applications (as opposed to applets) use the 'java' command line
script/executable.

> i am trying to eschew Microsoft and encourage others to do the same via
> FreeBSD or Linux

A noble pursuit.

> I realise
> everything would be easier if i were an unix guru, but i am not and have
> better things to do than to try to become one. I would be grateful for
> some help.

I agree. FreeBSD would be an even more potent platform if
it become more accessible to the average user. Hopefully
Java will have a large part ot play in providing nice
frontends and admin tools :)

Hope this helped.

Joe Shevland - Horizon Technologies International

Email:      joe.shevland@horizonti.com

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking
at the stars - Oscar Wilde