Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 19:08:26 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Douglas K. Rand" <rand@meridian-enviro.com>
To:        Fred Condo <fcondo@csuchico.edu>
Cc:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Setting environment variables for an X session

Fred> One thing I do not understand is where to set environment
Fred> variables such as NNTP_SERVER or LD_LIBRARY_PATH (for real
Fred> video) or MANPATH (I can't get xman to see local man pages, for
Fred> example). When I used only text or telnet modes, I set these in
Fred> .profile.

You need a .xsession script in your home directory. This is run by xdm
when you login in. I think it will be somewhat difficult to persuade
bash to automatically source your .bashrc file from .xsession, but you
can hard code a ". ~/.bashrc" line in your .xsession.

Sales pitch: I use zsh specifically because it ALWAYS sources
~/.zshenv, even for shell scripts.

Make sure your .xsession is executable (chmod a+x ~/.xsession) and is
a bash script (starts out with #!/bin/bash or what ever your path to
bash is) and things should work fine.

You can also set environment variables directly in your .xsession if
you want too.