Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 20:15:49 +0100 (BST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?andrew=20mejia?= <mejia_bsd@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        FreeBSD Newbies <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: remote login

 --- inspector.us@omicnet.com wrote: > Hello

> I have enabled telnetd and rlogin on my FreeBSD box
> at home.  From work,
> I telnet in and get the login prompt on the BSD box,
> however, my passwords
> don't work.  What else do I need to do?

[andrew]$  1. don't use telnet or rlogin.  turn those
daemons off.  you don't want them listening for
connections.

2. definitely use openssh (you also have to intall
openssl to use openssh).  when you install these
two packages you will be better off and it's ok to
have them listening for connections.

to demonstrate how insecure telnet is, open 2 terminal
windows on your office machine and telnet to your home
machine.

in terminal window one, enter '# snoop a.b.c.d' - this
being the IP address of the machine you are telneting
to.

in terminal window two, telnet to the machine you are
snooping.  watch as your username and passwd and
everything else are broadcast over your internet
connection on the first terminal window thru the
snoop utility in clear text for anyone who *MAY* be
snooping to grab.

ssh also allows you to 'scp' (secure copy) without
having to really start a telnet session, so you can
just enter one command and it will literally copy
a file from your remote machine to your local machine
securely, without leaving persistent session open.

hope this helps.

[andrew]$
:wq