Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 1996 15:15:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        branson@widomaker.com, nate@mt.sri.com, chris@acme1.ruhr.de, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Update 2.1-STABLE -> 2.1.5-RELEASE

> > question left: Will >> there be an easy way to updgrade from
> > 2.1-STABLE to 2.1.5-RELEASE ?
> > >
> > > Umm, 2.1-STABLE *isn't* a release and is (was) an ong oing version.
> > > Since 2.1-STABLE existed for a *long* time and not a 'checkpoint'
> > > release it would be very difficult to provide a singl e 'upgrade'
> > > target given your constraints below.
> >
> >  Ummm.. i disagree.. many of us .. who don't have the time, energy, or
> >  bandwidth or desire to run the -stable tree have stood by with the
> >  2.1-RELEASE just as it came from the CD. And I for one would like to
> >  see an upgrade path as opposed to a re-installation.
>
> As I understand it, there *IS* an upgrade path from 2.1R.  Jordan would
> know more.  However, the original poster asked for a CTM upgrade from
> 2.1-STABLE -> 2.1.5, and there isn't any '2.1-STABLE' release to upgrade
> from.  Also, creating a 'CTM' diff between 2.1R and 2.1.5 would be
> *HUGE*, probably bigger than downloading the entire release, so if you
> want the new sources you're more than welcome to download the entire new
> release and do a 'make world' and then hand-upgrade the /etc files by
> hand.  This is essentially what the 2.1R -> 2.1.5 'upgrade' would do
> anyway.

cvs rdiff -u -rRELENG_2_1_0_RELEASE -rRELENG_2_1_0 src

GndRsh:rgrimes {215} ls -lag BIG.diff
-rw-rw-r--  1 rgrimes  rgrimes  11171459 Jul  1 14:51 BIG.diff

GndRsh:rgrimes {218} df /usr/src
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/sd0g      158863   127050    19103    87%    /usr/src

11MB vs ~127MB for a full src tree, both uncompressed, but compression
should still keep the same 10:1 relative size difference.