Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2012 19:51:24 +0700
From:      "Ivan Alexandrovich" <ivsan@ngs.ru>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getting counters for a plenty of vlan ifaces

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net  wrote:
> We approach it a little differently and collect all the data via
> netflow, or in this case argus.

Netflow is fine. We used ng_netflow with ng_vlan on a previous
installation with FreeBSD-6.x and it worked fine.
Then we had to drop it as a safety measure since the hardware
itself was slow and once failed to sustain anomalous packet
rate the during packet storm.
Currently that's enough for us to have ipt_NETFLOW (linux) on a
border router and some service-specific RDRs from SCE.

Zaphod Beeblebrox zbeeble at gmail.com  wrote
> It strikes me that a little kernel module that provided a kernel call
> that (when called) walked the list of interfaces (in kernel) building
> a table as described and then shipping that table to userland in one
> go would be exceedingly cheep to call.

Custom syscall? Thanks for the idea, i'll try.
Would freebsd-net be the right place to ask specific questions
concerning in-kernel data structures?

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org wrote:
> you just have to make sure you get the locking right.
Thanks, I'll try.

And what will be the right way to ensure the code is smp
safe before taking it into production?
Run a few scripts that will continuosly create/destroy vlans?

Thanks,
Ivan