Date:      Fri, 10 May 2002 15:04:56 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Jonathan Mini <mini@freebsd.org>, Michael Smith <msmith@mass.dis.org>, Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org>, hackers@freebsd.org, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Subject:   Re: nextboot loader diff

John Baldwin wrote:
> > Now is when I point out that the original nextboot predates the ELF
> > format conversion, as well as the new FORTH based loader code...
> > which predates running on anything other than i386 anyway (unless
> > you count my Motorolla Powerstack port, or Vogel's SPARC port,
> > back before the 4.4-Lite integration).
>
> Right, and we aren't writing a direct replacement of that nextboot.
> We are writing a utility for FreeBSD 5.0 (and possibly 4.x.) in the
> year 2002 AD.

I thought we were trying to retrieve the nextboot functionality
lost in the ELF upgrade.

My point in my last response was that criticising portability of
Julian's description of what the old code was supposed to do is
really silly, since FreeBSD wasn't even using ELF at the time, let
alone had any other platforms integrated into the source tree.

My original point was that it's a deeper utility than it seems at
first glance.

-- Terry