Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 1996 02:37:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        FREEBSD-HACKERS-L <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   fgtty: Inappropriate device for ioctl (25)

    I have been getting this error when trying to start up screen
3.6.2 on one of my FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE machines (zap.io.org).
Several other users have reported the same problem.  The error occurs
when a new screen is created, either by the hotkey combination or from
the .screenrc startup file.

    The odd thing is that it does not happen on another one of my
servers (zip.io.org).  As far as I can tell, the two servers are
identical in software and hardware.  They are running identical
kernels, identical screen binaries, an identical set of tty's and
pty's in /dev, NFS mount the same home directories, and serve
approximately the same number of users.

    Any suggestions?
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org)
Systems Administrator, Internex Online Inc.