Date:      Wed, 02 Jan 2002 13:50:40 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Tom Hukins <tom@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: outdated ports/INDEX database

Tom Hukins wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 03:30:17PM -0800, Ken McGlothlen wrote:
>
>>So why isn't there a "portindex" program or Makefile target that
>>reconstructs the INDEX file based on the information in the
>>individual ports?
>>

> If anyone decides to do anything like this, it might be worth
> integrating it with the Perl FreeBSD::Ports modules
> <http://people.FreeBSD.org/~tom/portpm>.

This ability has existed for some time. It depends on how you maintain
your port tree. When you convert to using portupgrade, it is suggested
that you run portsdb -uU after the cvsup. I collect the cvsup log using
a shell script and added portsdb at the end. Portsdb updates the three
INDEX files. If you don't use portupgrade, you can do a "make index" in
/usr/ports.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart