Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 2004 13:29:26 +1030
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        scott@sremick.net, "Sergey 'DoubleF' Zaharchenko" <doublef@tele-kom.ru>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: "Cannot find file system superblock" error - how to recover?

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 10:59, Scott I. Remick wrote:
> Sorry for the delay... holidays had me busy. Hopefully you're still aro=
und
> and interested in picking up where we left off. I think we're definitel=
> onto something...

Looking back over some of your e-mails I find:
QUOTE
su-2.05b# disklabel -r /dev/ad6s1c
# /dev/ad6s1c:
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c: 156344517       63    unused        0     0         # "raw" part, do=
n't
edit
  e: 156344517       63    4.2BSD     2048 16384    89
partition c: partition extends past end of unit
disklabel: partition c doesn't start at 0!
disklabel: An incorrect partition c may cause problems for standard syste=
utilities
partition e: partition extends past end of unit

That doesn't look good.
ENDQUOTE

The 63 offset is spurious. I've seen this before somewhere but can't
remember the details -- i.e the value 63.

I wonder whether editing the label and setting both offsets to 0
might solve the problem. You could always make a copy of the existing lab=
el=20
and put it back if the changes don't help.

You could in addition check the size for the partitions against the size =
given by=20
fdisk for the slice.

Malcolm Kay