Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 97 14:45:28 -0800
From:      "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Ping idea

	I lost the thread on the idea of adding standard deviation to our
ping code due to a fit of overzealous cleaning, but I wanted to throw in a
vote of support for that, and one new(?) idea.  It would be nice if the
ping summary showed the size of the packets used.  Something like:

--- freefall.freebsd.org ping statistics ---
10 1024 byte packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0% packet loss

If line length is an issue, I'd say that the "packets" in "10 packets
received" is redundant and repetetive. :)

	I'm not a programmer, so I don't have a patch for you, but if
someone wants to whip one up, I'll be happy to test it on my 2.2.1 system.
 Also, if there is a better list to send this to, let me know.  I'm not on
-hackers or I'd send it there.

Doug

The man who fears nothing, loves nothing.