Date:      Sat, 08 Jun 1996 13:52:04 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        michael@memra.com, hdalog@zipnet.net, dror@hopf.dnai.com, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ERROR info:747d9d asc:11,0 Unrecovered read error, other SCSI issues

>> >Maybe Quantum's engineering does something wierd internally and doesn't
>> >test their drives on a real world activity mix that includes UNIX.

>As Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote...
>> That would be hard to believe, considering that Quantum drives ship in
>> some HP Workstations, among others...

>And in lots of Digital Equipment machines...
>In general: I have yet to hear of a manufacturer that never has 'junk'
>drive types every now and then.

That has been my experience also, following these lists and Usenet.

I think I have heard of bad runs of drives from every major
manufacturer.  Especially the ones that try to push the limits, like
newer 7200rpm drives.

The only difference, I think, is that I have heard of Seagate drives
failing more than the rest.

Personally, I have owned several Quantums.  I like them -- they do the
job for a good price, and the performance is good.  I have had two
Quantums fail.  One (a ProDrive 425S) was old and had put in several
years of good service and hard life running Unix.  It didn't surprise
me a bit when it finally went.

The other was newer (LPS 540S), but was a few months out of warranty.
I called them up and they replaced it for free anyway.

I have other Quantum drives (a couple TrailBlazer 850S's) that haven't
shown any problems.  I also have a couple Western Digital IDE drives
(a 1.6GB and a 540MB; all my other drives are SCSI) which work very
well, and actually seem to run less hot than the other bigger drives.
I have two HP drives (both 1GB) which run hot, but which have been
quite reliable and quick so far.  I also have an old Seagate (500MB)
with an Apple decal on it, that probes as a SCSI-1 drive, but still
performs pretty well for an older drive, and hasn't shown a single
problem so far.

So, in Quantum's case, specifically, I wouldn't say that all their
drives way more reliable, but I wouldn't say they are way less,
either.  And, it doesn't bring your data back, but they were very
helpful and courteous when I did need to get a drive replaced.

Anyone who says "Don't buy X's drives -- they all suck!", I pretty
much tune out right away.  If a manufacturer truly made only drives
that always failed a few months after you bought them, they quite
simply wouldn't stay in business.  People who can give specific
examples and models I take more seriously.

Is this thread beat to death, yet?

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.