Date:      Tue, 3 Jan 2006 19:49:22 +0100
From:      Richard =?utf-8?q?K=C3=A4stner?= <richard.kaestner@ycn.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mapping [process|socket|...] to Filesystem

On Monday 02 January 2006 22:29, Bj=C3=B6rn K=C3=B6nig wrote:

> Richard K=C3=A4stner schrieb:
> > Hello,
> >
> > hope to find some help, hints and experience here:
> >
> > an external device expects commands and command data,
> > it produces result-codes and result data.
> > Communication is done via HTTP (and working)
> >
> > The idea is, to allow access via Samba, which requires either
> > implementation of Samba - VFS modules or mapping to BSD-Filesystem -
> > pseudofs came to my mind.
> > [...]
>
> Hello,
>
> your description is a little bit vague to me, but it sounds like that
> this task can be probably done by using portalfs. See mount_portalfs(8)
> for examples.
>
> Regards Bj=C3=B6rn
Bj=C3=B6rn,
(sorry for being vague - I seem to be too deep in my problems)

thanks for the tip - portalfs was the first thing to try, but it does not w=
ork=20
with samba (at least the way, I wanted ):
Portalfs does not allow to pass anything besides '/p/tcp/localhost/6666'

To be less vague :
the external device is a black box, communicates via ???-HTTP server.

The idea is:
=2D a (windows)user copies a file to a directory (say: .../commands/xyz),
=2D there is a "thing", that maps this file to some activity towards extern=
al
  box (similar to: procfs_doprocnote )
=2D as a response, a file appears in another file (.../response/data),=20
  which can be read from (windows)client ( similar to: procfs_doproccmdline)
=2D the whole stuff should work diskless=20
=2D response data can be from a few bytes up to several megabyte

=2D if I can manage, I could export this filesystem via samba _and_ nfs ...

=2D if it all was only about acces to the black box, it could be done via=20
HTTP ... unfortunately, I have to deal with windows clients

Regards
Richard

=2D-=20
Mit freundlichen Gr=C3=BC=C3=9Fen