Date:      Wed, 02 Dec 1998 18:22:02 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KLD - what's the idea?

> > or to unload unused segments and
> > reload them on the fly during further probe/attach requests (ala Linux).
>
> It would certainly be feasible to arrange for the firmware images to be
> loaded from separate files, should that be an acceptable alternative.
> I'm open to suggestions on how to make this economical and robust...

I should probably have expanded here; I was thinking for some time
about the usefulness of optionally having two modules associated with a
driver; the core driver code and the 'init' module for the code.  You'd
normally put these into two separate files, so for 'foo' you'd
have foo.ko and foo_init.ko.

There are issues about how you express the dependancies between these
modules: foo_init depends on foo, but foo also has an init-time
dependancy on foo_init.

>From the loader's perspective, you'd load the two of them together
(either as a result of some dependancy or explicitly out of the config
 metainformation), the foo_init module would do its work and then
(somehow) determine that it was no longer required and free (most of?)
itself.

>From a pragmatic perspective, I guess my major concern is whether this
elegance is warranted; you save a few pages of kernel space, but on the
sort of systems where these devices are common such a saving is
relatively infestimal.