Date:      Wed, 2 Sep 1998 13:23:16 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, jdp@polstra.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, reilly@zeta.org.au
Subject:   Re: ELF binaries size

I wrote:
>No it doesn't.  The bss immediately follows the data.  The data section
>is padded to 4K in the file for some reason.

I was a bit confused.  size(1) shows that the "data" section itself is
padded.  I was thinking of the actual data section, which ends at edata.
Part of the bss is merged into the data section to avoid wasting in-core
space given that we're wasting file space (this results in a bss size of
0 for small programs).  The reason for the padding is that it simplifies
paging.  It may even be faster, since disk blocks are always padded.

Bruce