Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 14:22:11 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, David Greenman <dg@root.com>, Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>, bright@wintelcom.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Conclusions on... was Re: More on the cache_purgeleafdirs() routine

Matt Dillon wrote:

> :Block input operations is the one notable exception and it tells a
> :very interesting story: Matts patch results in a 4% increase, but
> :combined with vmdirioenable it results in a 21.5% decrease.
> :
> :That's pretty darn significant: one out of every five I/O have
> :been saved.

Notice that both the user and system times increased..
if there had been another parallel task, the overall system throughout may have
decreased..

I'm not saying this is wrong, just that we should look at other workloads too.
no point in optimising the system for compiling itself.. that's not really a
real-world task..
lmost noo-one buys a freeBSD box so that they can compile freeBS.. they usually
have other plans for what they want out of it...

(of course this may effect other tasks in an even more positive way, but we
should know that..)