Date:      Sat, 23 Dec 1995 10:53:00 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua (Andrew V. Stesin)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User classes??? (was: BSD/OS 2.1 and BSDI information (fwd)

As Andrew V. Stesin wrote:

> I'd want to attract a bit of attention to the following issue:
>
> : 	User classes

> 	Can anyone explain, what does it _really_ mean?  How is it done?
> 	Is this a BSDI's own invention or there are some existing prototypes
> 	of this feature?

It seems to be the intention of the fathers of 4.4BSD to have this
feature in the system (RTFM passwd(5)), the field in master.passwd is
already reserved for it, but the actual implementation has been
missing.  I assume, due to an apparent lack of time.

It would be interesting to know how BSD/OS does use this field, so
somebody could make a free reimplementation.  (I doubt that the
creators of 4.4BSD are going to release it to the public, now that
many of them are with BSDi.)

--
cheers, J"org