Date:      Sat, 30 Jun 2001 16:17:30 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Bsdguru@aol.com
Cc:        nate@yogotech.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of encryption hardware support in FreeBSD

> > > Your premise that "embedded appliances" are somehow doomed to use
> pitifully
> >
> >  > outdated processors is simply wrong.
> >
> >  Who said anything about pitifully outdated processors.  I can buy a heck
> >  of alot of CPU horsepower w/out buying the latest/greatest CPU.
> >
> >  As a matter of fact, in almost all cases, the best bang for the buck
> >  would be for processorts that you imply to 'pitfully outdated'.
>
> I think you've missed the fact that the '486 solution requires an
> add-on board (priced at $80.) and the faster cpu solution doesnt. That
> adds a lot of margin to get a faster MB, more than enough to
> compensate for the board.

Not necessarily.  The upgraded motherboard also requires a faster
processor, and the two parts added together are almost certainly going
to be more than $80.

In any case, that's just one example.  There are many more examples
where a PIII-400 is more than adequate to do most of the processing, if
you don't have to do encryption.  If you involve encryption, we're
talking alot more CPU, memory, and such.  You can easily get an add-on
board for *much* cheaper than to upgrade your memory, mboard, and CPU.

Nate