Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 18:57:55 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        reilly@zeta.org.au (Andrew Reilly)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, mike@smith.net.au, tony@dell.com, wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu, chuckr@glue.umd.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI devices

> > 1)	All legacy ISA device ROMs are required to begin on a 2K
> > 2)	All PnP device ROMS have the same requirements.  But as of
> > 3)	On a non-PnP-BIOS machine, devices in the boot path will be
> > 4)	The PnP OS can then:
>
> What happens with legacy ISA devices that don't have a ROM?
> I know one or two of those.

You have two options:

1)	FreeBSD probes and finds them, and thus knows their resources.

2)	You run the visual config, and enter in the resources used by
	the devices, telling FreeBSD the information that it can not
	probe, and thus FreeBSD knows their resources.

This is the same thing you can do on newer PnP BIOS implementaiotns
(but not all PnP BIOS implementations), where you go into the CMOS
setup and tell the system about your legacy ISA cards.

In other words, legacy ISA devices communicate with the PnP system
by relaying the relevent information through a human (you).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.