Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2018 10:41:09 +0800
From:      Jov <amutu@amutu.com>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Subject:   Re: Splitting up sets of files for archiving (e.g. to tape, optical media)

dar may help=EF=BC=9Ahttp://dar.linux.free.fr/
from the man page=EF=BC=9A

*dar* is a full featured backup tool, aimed for disks (floppy, CD-R(W),
DVD-R(W), zip, jazz, hard-disks, usb keys, etc.) and since release 2.4.0
also adapted to tapes.

*dar* can store a backup in several files (called "slices" in the
following) of a given size, eventually pausing or running a user
command/script before starting the next slice. This can allow for example,
the burning of the last generated slice on a DVD-R(W), Blue-ray Disk, or
changing of usb key before continuing on the next one. Like its
grand-brother, the great "tar" command, *dar* may also use compression, at
the difference that compression is used inside the archive to be able to
have compressed slices of the defined size.