Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 2003 23:07:06 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: small fonts in new gdm

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 11:36:14PM -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-09-21 at 23:27, Glenn Johnson wrote:

> > > Funny thing is, mine look quite huge on my ATI desktop, and quite
> > > small on my ATI laptop.  I haven't bothered to track this down,
> > > but you might be able to affect the fonts with a ~/.gtkrc-2.0 for
> > > root.  I'd be interested in knowing your results.
> >
> > Well, I tried restarting gdm via the startup script in
> > /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d, but that did not help.  I needed to reboot for
> > another reason and when gdm came back up the theme I had previously
> > set was now in effect and the fonts were now a normal size.  I do
> > not know why it did not take effect before. Perhaps a gdm process
> > did not get killed by 'gdm.sh stop' and was still hanging around.
> >
> > However, although the fonts looked normal again, the keyboard
> > could not get focus in the login field and thus I could not login
> > nor switch vtys.  I could select the reboot option with the mouse
> > however.  After playing around with this a bit, it turns out that
> > gdm2-2.4.4.1_1 can be started from /etc/ttys (as gdm1 could) and the
> > keyboard focus problem does not happen.  At least it works here on
> > my -current system.  Starting from the startup script does not work
> > (keyboard focus problem).
>
> Works for me on two -CURRENT machines.  Did you copy the
> factory-gdm.conf over gdm.conf?

Yes. In fact, the entire gdm directory was fresh from the install.  I
backed up the old one and moved it out of the way.

> Though, it is good news that gdm now works out of /etc/ttys again.

Well, like I said, it works here, on my home machine. I will test it
out on my work machine eventually but that will take a while because I
want to test things a bit at home before committing to a machine with
other users.

--
Glenn Johnson
glennpj@charter.net