Date:      Sat, 25 Jul 1998 12:28:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: release plans

 * Jordan, you've probably announced this already (and I missed it because
 * I've lost so much time this summer) but could you please give your
 * notion of FreeBSD's release plans, even rough ones?  If you don't have
 * dates, then just the release numbering?  I'm looking for your opinion
 * here, so if core hasn't agreed, that's fine (though you better point
 * that out clearly so you don't get called on it).

I'm not Jordan but I know he collapsed in an unconscious heap just a
few hours ago so I'm going to chime in here. :)

You can find out about 3.0 in the Really-Quick NewsLetter:

  http://www.freebsd.org/news/qnewsletter-1-3.html

It says:

"Release Information: The latest RELEASE is 2.2.6-RELEASE. FreeBSD
2.2.7 is scheduled to be released July 21st. FreeBSD 3.0 is scheduled
to be released October 15th."

Beyond that, all core has decided is that there is going to be just
one more release (2.2.8) along the 2.2 branch, then it's onto
3.0-land.  We haven't decided on the 2.2.8 release date, but if you
ask me to guess, it's going to be about 3 months after 3.0.

As far as ports are concerned (btw, I'm not speaking for core
anymore), the ports team will support both the 2.2 and 3.0 branches,
with the preference going to 2.2 in case of conflict, at least until
the second release from the 3.0 branch.  From there on (official)
support for 2.2 will likely be discontinued.

Satoshi