Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 1997 14:27:33 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Patches from -current for -stable I'd like to commit after testing

> > > I changed the code to use the 'highest' un-allocated IRQ, because that's
> > > what Win95 does and many machines used built-in IRQ's for IRQ 3.
> >
> > Understood entirely; all I meant was that you moved the problem from
> > your machine to mine.  8)
>
> Actually, I never had a problem, but many users complained to me about
> this.  And, it made sense because Win95 'does it this way', and they are
> the reference implementation.

Understood.  There's probably a quirk handler somwhere in there for
this unit, or it's possible that the ESCD data lists it as not
available.  Still haven't got around to talking to that. 8(

> > I hacked an option into kern_intr that allows you to specify a mask of
> > interrupts that can never be allowed on the system; this seemed to
> > work pretty well.
>
> It's an option, but it still doesn't allow you to specify the interrupt.

Yes; my feelings were that given that it's trying to automatically
assign one it makes more sense to correct the information it's using
rather than to heavy-hand it into a choice for which it has no
justification.

> > I did that; it didn't help.  I need to spend some more time chasing
> > kernel builds; I just don't have that right now.  (Assignments, exams,
> > new product lagging on a solid deadline...)
>
> *sigh*  Does your laptop have a Cirrus Logic controller?

No.  8(  Toshiba mostly do their own stuff.  The pcic is, I *think*, the
part marked TC183GT6JF.  I seem to recall Tatsumi saying that he had
tried to get data on this one and failed.  The controller is detected
as an i82365, FWIW.

mike