Date:      Thu, 13 Sep 2001 17:33:51 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
Cc:        Chip Norkus <wd@arpa.com>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Default user directory (adduser) filemode

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 10:13:52AM -0400, Kenneth W Cochran wrote:
> Sounds reasonable...  But sysinstall --> UserAdd doesn't
> use the adduser Perl script, but the pw command.
> Just MHO, but I think the defaults are too "loose," not
> well-documented, and not easily auditable.
>
> Should I file a PR, maybe?
>
> CC'ing to -security...

For adduser(8), you could try a patch that I wrote up a couple of weeks
ago; it's at http://people.FreeBSD.org/~roam/bsd/adduser-mode-RELENG_4.patch.gz
For pw(8), however, things are more complicated - including the fact that
pw(8) has no default configuration store.

G'luck,
Peter

--
This sentence every third, but it still comprehensible.