Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2000 11:50:27 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd)
Cc:        bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein), brooks@one-eyed-alien.net (Brooks Davis), dscheidt@enteract.com (David Scheidt), troy@picus.com (Troy Settle), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gimme FreeBSD anyday!

At 11:37 AM 2/16/2000 , Terry Lambert wrote:

>250ms of line silence, according to Technical Aspects of Data
>Communication, McKneely, Digital Press, where in the appendices
>they reproduce the Bell 103c and Bell 212 standards.

The exact amount isn't part of any standard, unfortunately. My
rule of thumb, when I wrote terminal emulation software, was that
it should be a continuous "space" (zero) lasting approximately 10
character times at the current baud rate. It doesn't hurt any
to make it too long, but if you make it too short some equipment
doesn't pick it up. (It's an "out-of-band" signal, in a manner
of speaking, since it's "illegal" in an asynchronous protocol
to pin the line to a "space" for that long.)

It's especially important to make your breaks good and long if
you're using them for control purposes, e.g. a modem escape
sequence. When Hayes started obnoxious enforcement of the
Heatherington patent (which covered the +++<pause> escape
sequence), some modem vendors used <BREAK>AT as an alternative.
This choice was better than TIES (a time-independent escape
sequence, where +++AT caused an immediate mode change) OR
the Heatherington method, so I often set up systems to use
it.

--Bret