Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 2004 00:25:07 -0500
From:      Randy Pratt <rpratt1950@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jay Moore <jaymo@cromagnon.cullmail.com>
Subject:   Re: automounting cd-rom & cd-rw devices

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:51:16 -0800 Joshua Lokken wrote:
> > Jay Moore <jaymo@cromagnon.cullmail.com> [2004-03-29 08:24]:

[snip]

> > 1) once the file system cd is mounted, a fixed amount of "no activity" time
> > must pass before it is umount'd
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by this.  I've never had to wait for any
> length of time to unmount a CD-ROM, however, you will not be able to
> unmount it if you are currently in the directory that the drive is
> mounted on;)
>
> > 2) security implications ?!!
> >
> > Item 1) is a concern mostly 'cause it's just kind of kludge ("oh yeah, I
> > have to wait for 60 seconds before I can eject my data cd"). Item 2) is
> > a concern 'cause college campuses are the most hostile network environments
> > I've ever seen.
>
> Again, I've never heard of this.  Anyone else?

The only thing I've ever seen that might be related in some way is where I
was looking at the contents of a mounted cdrom with a browser.  Apparently
the browser cache was keeping the cdrom directory "busy".  I had to either
close the browser or clear the cache in order to umount the cdrom.

Perhaps there's something caching and creating the delay.

Just a thought..

Randy