Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2006 16:57:11 +0100
From:      Patrik Jansson <fbsd@aleborg.se>
To:        Adam Todorski <todora@scorec.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell PERC5/e RAID controller

> I am considering a Dell 2950 with the PERC5/e SAS RAID controller
> attached to their MD1000 SAS JBOD product and I would like to run 6.2-
> RELEASE on it (when it comes out).  Has anyone had any experience with
> this hardware scenario with FreeBSD?  Is the PERC5/e controller
> supported?  My research on this topic has not lead to a conclusion one
> way or another, as the man page for the mfi(4) driver indicates that the
> PARC5/i (the internal controller in the 2950 that I will have the OS
> live on) is supported and that the LSI 8480E is supported (which I've
> heard that the PERC5/e is based on) but not the PERC5/e explicitly.
Maybe not too much help here but we're running a Dell PowerEdge 2850
with a MD1000
attached. Although we don't use that particular RAID controller. Here's
some of dmesg:

amr0: <LSILogic MegaRAID 1.53> mem
0xd81f0000-0xd81fffff,0xdfdc0000-0xdfdfffff i
rq 46 at device 14.0 on pci2
amr0: delete logical drives supported by controller
amr0: <LSILogic PERC 4e/Di> Firmware 521X, BIOS H430, 256MB RAM
mfi0: <Dell PERC 5/i> mem 0xd80f0000-0xd80fffff,0xdfae0000-0xdfafffff
irq 18 at
device 14.0 on pci5

The machine is running FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE

-Patrik