Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 02:55:13 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   "unofficial" buildworld stats with IDE + SCSI

Without revisiting the previous debate regarding the proper way to set
up a worldstone test, I thought I'd report the results of a test I did
here locally involving relative disk speeds in case anyone's interested.

	I run -Stable, and am trying to decide how to spread my system across
two disks since I just freed up some space on the old IDE disk. I have a
WD Caviar 1.6G disk and an IBM DCAS 34300 4G SCSI UW drive. My main
question was whether putting /usr/src or /usr/obj on the "slow" IDE disk
would yield the greatest buildworld performance. I deleted my old
sources (for an unrelated test, but the timing was good :), cvsup'ed
-Stable and did the local modifications that I usually do. I don't build
perl, xntpd (I use more up to date versions), qcam, uucp, or profiled
libraries. I build everything with -O -pipe.

	I did the test the same way each time, with the same partitions on the
IDE and SCSI disks as obj or src depending. Always starting with a clean
/usr/obj I did 'make -DNOCLEAN -DCLOBBER buildworld.' I didn't use any
log file for the build to avoid the extra variable. I have all the
performance options for AHC in my kernel, /usr/src was mounted noatime
and /usr/obj was mounted noasync,noatime. I used the same exact sources
for each test, mv'ing them as needed.

I did the test 3 ways:

With /usr/src on IDE and /usr/obj on SCSI
	2 hours 8 minutes
With /usr/src on SCSI and /usr/obj on IDE
	2 hours 6 minutes
With both on SCSI
	2 hours 14 minutes

	I imagine that if I had two fast SCSI disks those numbers would be a
lot different. :) However I thought it was pretty interesting that it
doesn't matter which is on the "slow" disk. In case anyone's wondering I
did one installworld after the last buildworld and it took 14 minutes.
That total time is virtually identical to the total make world time I've
been seeing with mounting /usr/obj on the IDE disk for the last few
weeks.

	I hope this is of use to someone. More details are available on
request.

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest