Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 21:21:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Dave Schneider <buster@cats.ucsc.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A simple question

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Dave Schneider wrote:

>         I was wondering if you could solve a problem for me. I'm trying to
> install FreeBSD on my p5 133Mhz. I have two hard drives installed on
> different IDE ports, rather than both on one with one master and the other
> one slave. I would like to set up DOS on one and UNIX on the other using
> the boot manager to choose. After I install UNIX on the 2nd disk, with DOS
> on the first, it boots DOS without asking about UNIX. When I Have it set
> up the other way around, with UNIX as the 1st disk and DOS as the 2nd the
> boot manager comes up but does not have a selection for DOS and both
> choices go to UNIX. What do I need to do?

Install Booteasy on the first disk.  FreeBSD's sysinstall is a bit stupid
when it comes to doing the Right Thing when installing Booteasy -- if you
install on the second disk, that's where it goes.

Follow these simple instructions:

1.  copy bootinst.exe and boot.bin off the CDROM or ftp site from /tools
to your hard disk
2.  run bootinst
3.  Reboot and use.

Hope this helps.