Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 1995 15:10:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Charles N. Owens" <owensc@alpha.enc.edu>
To:        Chael Hall <nowhere@chaos.taylored.com>
Cc:        questions list FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bootpd weirdness

On Fri, 11 Aug 1995, Chael Hall wrote:

> Charles N. Owens typed:
> >
> >I've used bootp quite a bit with other Unixes, and I've played with FBSD
> >back in the 2.0-xxx-SNAP days and had little trouble....
> >
> >Today, I tried to fire up bootpd on my 2.0.5-RELEASE system, and I get
> >the following message:
> >	bootpd: error(3):  bind: Address already in use
> >
> >I get this regardles off what my /etc/bootptab looks like. (even if it's
> >empty)  This has let me to conclude that the problem is NOT in my
> >bootptab.
> >
> >Any idea what the problem is?
> >thanks,
>
> That means that bootpd is already running or something (like inetd) is
> bound to that port already.  Or you are not root when you try to start it
> up.

Hmmmm.... pardon my ignorance, but how do I fix this?  Is there a way to
get a list of the current port bindings, so I can find out what it is?

thanks,
---
  Charles Owens					 Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                       "I read somewhere to learn is to
  Information Technology Services     remember... and I've learned that
  Eastern Nazarene College            we've all forgot..."   - King's X