Date:      Sat, 12 Aug 2006 13:58:21 -0700
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: suggested addition to 'date'

> To me it seems more natural to add the few extra lines to date because
> in my mind it is a natural
> usage of date and extending date to be able to be used as a filter
> doesn't hurt existing functionality.

I may want to prepend a log line with not just a timestamp
but also other information such as user, group, hostname etc.
This change may be small but it does not belong in date(1).
Just as I wouldn't want to extend hostname(1) to be a filter.
It makes more sense to extend logger(1), not date(1).

Don't mess with my date:-)