Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 03:32:09 -0600
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Oh no...

Of course, this won't help you now, but it serves as a clever warning.

Regardless of your backup procedure, it is always wise to make a backup
copy of your boot sector. In fact, as well as on another disk, I believe
you can store a copy on the disk in question itself.

Between the MBR and the first partition, there is a section of null
space. If it is big enough, one can use careful math to place a copy of
the bootsector in the gap.

A few seconds with dd and you would have a working system right now. :)

Sorry, and good luck.

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 07:01:36PM +1100, Kal Torak wrote:
> Hiyas...
>
> I kinda did a fdisk -BI on my main HDD by accident... It killed
> all my partitions... I tried to get them back with sysinstall and
> the live file system, but I cant mount them and stuff...
>
> Is there some way I can get my data back? I dont care so much about
> the file systems.. But there are some files I would *LOVE* to get
> back...
>
> Any pointers would be great...

Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx