Date:      Sat, 17 Apr 1999 18:43:06 -0400
From:      Mike Jennings <jennings@post.kosone.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   freebsd

Hello there.
I have been a Linux user for over a year and a half. By using the
documentation project docs I have
been able to get myself out of many sticky problems. Lately, I have
switched from Redhat to Slackware,
to run my home intranet on a pentium 233 machine w/64M ram. Two client
machines, 1 W98 and 1 NT4 wkstn connect over ethernet. All worked until my
HD crashed and lost all 86 mb worth of on-line files! Don't feel to bad for
me though, I got the wife to help me purchase a diamond fireport 40 scsi
controller and a Yamaha 4416s cd-rw for backups.

Now, Why have I bored you with all this! It seems my ISP has increased my
online time, thus giving me
more time to browse the web, when I have a spare minute. I found FreeBSD
web site. Have since then been
fascinated with the possibility of getting FreeBSD up and running on my
server.
I am now on my 3rd install. During the installation everything is great,
mouse is there, ed0 setup ok, video etc. But then of course you must reboot
the GENERIC kernel.

Did I tell you I printed out the first 160 pages of the handbook to give me
some guidelines. Tried 3 times to rebuild the kernel, with a little better
success each time, but it still does not fully compile.

Anyway, before I lay $109.00 CDN for the one and only Complete FreeBSD
Reference book, I would like to
get this OS up and working. Is there any other sources for information on
FreeBSD!

I would really like to get this OS up and running. I do not easily give up,
but I would like to get my
server up and running again.

Thanks  MJ

ps I selected the Auto configuration for my 1.6Gb partition and since
trying to rebuild the kernel I seem to have filled the /var directory to
101%. Any ideas about that. the /var is currently set to 80Mb.