Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2012 06:46:40 -0500
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller23@insightbb.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Subject:   Re: 9.1 minimal ram requirements

from Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>:

> In an ideal world, the bits that will almost certainly become FreeBSD 9.1
> would not appear on the masters, or any of the mirrors, until the same
> instant that the release announcement is set to freebsd-announce@FreeBSD.org.

> In practice this doesn't happen.  If there is some clever way for that to
> happen, we haven't found it yet.

> It has happened in the past that even as the release bits were propogating,
> One Last Big Bug was found and those bits had to be pulled and re-done.  It
> would have looked like you had FreeBSD Release X.Y but you wouldn't have had
> the final bits that everyone else did.

> I understand your frustration that this process takes days, and in general
> the frustration with this particular release -- more than you could possibly
> believe.  However, until we figure out the process that would exist in an
> ideal world, this is what we have, and so if you need something that will be
> in 9.1, your options at this moment are: build an install from 9-STABLE; find
> one of the snapshots (and no, I am not the one to ask, sorry); or wait.

> Sorry, but that's the best I can offer right now.

> mcl

So that's why I downloaded-updated source tree using svn, built and installed,
and uname -a revealed 9.1-PRERELEASE.  It seemed strange after 9.1-RELEASE
became available on FTP servers December 5.  Maybe they can do something to
better document "device ctl" in GENERIC; I kept it because it was there, and
one is led to think it is needed due to changes in FreeBSD.

Tom