Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 2009 16:58:14 -0700
From:      Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org>
To:        Aram Havarneanu <aram.h@mgk.ro>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shared Disk/Transactional/Distributed file system (GSoC Proposal)

Aram Havarneanu wrote:
> I have been giving some thought lately on some ideas I would like to
> do for Google Summer of Code. I haven't posted my application yet, as
> I hope to get some feedback first.

An interesting idea, but it sounds much too
ambitious for a six-week summer project.

I suggest you try to come up with something
rather a bit smaller.  There are a couple
of proposals on the FreeBSD Summer of Code
site for small projects that deal with
filesystem issues.  Especially if you've
not worked with the FreeBSD kernel before,
it's probably advisable to first tackle
a small project that would fix some issues with
existing file system implementations so
you can learn what a real FS implementation
looks like.  Once you know your way around
the kernel and the filesystem interfaces,
then there will be plenty of time to tackle
designing your own file system from scratch.

There's a suggestion on the FreeBSD Summer
of Code page, if I recall correctly, to fix
some issues with the msdosfs file system
implementation, and I seem to recall some
people asking recently about zisofs support
for the iso9660 driver.

Of course, a lot depends on your particular
background.  You didn't say how much work of
this sort you'd done in the past.

Cheers,

Tim Kientzle