Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 12:51:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Michael Scheidell <scheidell@secnap.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        peter@wemm.org
Subject:   Re: userland program panics freebsd 4.3

> Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 09:10:14AM -0500, Michael Scheidell wrote:
> > > I doubt hardware related
> > > I can get it to do it on two seperate boxes.
> >
> > OK, then you need to get more details as explained.
>
> My gut reaction tells me that this is either a kernel stack overflow or out
> of KVM.  The kernel stack overflow problem was "fixed" in 4.4-STABLE some
> time back (change UPAGES from 2 to 3 in the kernel) so that the kernel stack
> changes from 4.5K to 8.5K.

Ok, 'fixed', thats good, makes me want to try the 4.4 kernel, or could I
tune 4.3 kernel to a 8.5k stack?

> The other possibility is that he's configured the kernel so big (maxusers
> too high etc) and he's running out of KVM.   No tuning information was
> supplied (kernel configs, any sysctl/tunable changes etc).

maxusers 128, guess I could fiddle with vm,kernfiles, etc, but that was
easyest way, the 'one' processes (user) can spawn 32*20 individual
processes, each one open several files (yes, I uses ulimits on it)

limits -C nessusd
Resource limits for class nessusd:
  cputime          infinity secs
  filesize           131072 kb
  datasize-cur        65536 kb
  stacksize-cur       32768 kb
  coredumpsize-cur        0 kb
  memoryuse-cur       65536 kb
  memorylocked-cur    65536 kb
  maxprocesses           64
  openfiles             256
  sbsize           infinity bytes

nothing twiddled in sysctl, but in order to get apache to run, did:
  options         PMAP_SHPGPERPROC=300

(sorry, If I didn't post it here, did both (maxusers and PMAP_) on
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc group already)

> I'd be interested to know what this says:
> # gdb -k /kernel /dev/mem
> (kgdb) print ((struct vm_map *)kernel_map)->size

 print ((struct vm_map *)kernel_map)->size
$1 = 247824384

--
Michael Scheidell
Secnap Network Security, LLC