Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 1999 08:53:10 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        cjclark@home.com, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Greg@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com, Lehey@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com
Subject:   Re: Recovering vinum Volume

Yes.  If nothing writes to them, it doesn't change :-)

> I took the system back to its old hardware configuration, but vinum
> still does not come up. It reports two of the subdisks as "crashed"
> and one as "up." From what it says about "crashed" on vinum(4) this
> _seems_ tosay my data is still there,

Correct.

> but I'm not sure how to get at it. A 'stop' and 'start' does not
> seem to fix it, and anything stronger than that has foreboding
> warnings in the manpages and could cause me to lose the data. I'd
> like to be sure of what to try before I do this.

You don't give the exact commands.  What does 'vinum start
scsivol.p0.s1' say?  If that doesn't work, I have deep magic which
will, but I don't want to use it indiscriminately.

> # vinum l
> Configuration summary
>
> Drives:         3 (4 configured)
> Volumes:        1 (4 configured)
> Plexes:         1 (8 configured)
> Subdisks:       3 (16 configured)
>
> D scsi1                 State: up       Device /dev/da1h        Avail: 0/1003 MB (0%)
> D scsi2                 State: up       Device /dev/da2g        Avail: 13/1016 MB (1%)
> D scsi3                 State: up       Device /dev/da2h        Avail: 13/1016 MB (1%)
>
> V scsivol               State: down     Plexes:       1 Size:       3009 MB
>
> P scsivol.p0          S State: faulty   Subdisks:     3 Size:       3009 MB
>
> S scsivol.p0.s0         State: crashed  PO:        0  B Size:       1003 MB
> S scsivol.p0.s1         State: up       PO:      512 kB Size:       1003 MB
> S scsivol.p0.s2         State: crashed  PO:     1024 kB Size:       1003 MB
>
> Now for the 'messages' output, this first set is from when vinum was
> stopped, then restarted after the malconfigured SCSI setup was put in
> place,
>
> Nov  1 17:31:54 backmail /kernel: vinum: unloaded
> Nov  1 17:51:57 backmail /kernel: vinum: loaded
> Nov  1 17:52:05 backmail /kernel: vinum: reading configuration from /dev/da1h
> Nov  1 17:52:06 backmail /kernel: vinum: scsivol.p0.s0 is crashed
> Nov  1 17:52:06 backmail /kernel: vinum: scsivol.p0 is faulty
> Nov  1 17:52:06 backmail /kernel: vinum: scsivol is down
> Nov  1 17:52:06 backmail /kernel: vinum: scsivol.p0.s2 is crashed
> Nov  1 17:52:06 backmail /kernel: vinum: scsivol.p0 is corrupt
> Nov  1 17:52:06 backmail /kernel: vinum: scsivol is up

This means that the on-disk config indicates that the subdisks are
down.  It would have been nice to see the messages when the original
problem occurred.

Greg