Date:      Sat, 26 Dec 1998 12:50:45 +0100
From:      Stephane Bortzmeyer <stephane@sources.org>
Subject:   [SUMMARY] CD recording problem (Ricoh drive, Linux)

On Sunday 27 September 1998, at 19 h 13, the keyboard of Stephane Bortzmeyer
<stephane@sources.org> wrote:

> solve. Since the drive is connected to an Adaptec 294X, and since I use the
> same model of drive without trouble with a 284X, there is may be a SCSI
> adapter problem and that's why I write on this list,
> scsi0: MEDIUM ERROR on channel 0, id 5, lun 0, CDB: Read (6) 03 50 06 01 00
> Current error sr0b:00: sense key Medium Error
> Additional sense indicates No seek complete
> CD-ROM I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 868378
> EXT2-fs error (device 0b:00): ext2_read_inode: unable to read inode block -
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: RICOH    Model: MP6200S          Rev: 2.03
>   Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Well, I cannot say I have a solution but I've found a workaround: write only 645 Mb of data (or less) instead of a complete CD. That way, everything goes fine.

I don't know if it is a general Ricoh MP6200 problem (nobody seems to ever encounter it) or a failure in that particular drive.