Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 1998 00:53:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Sebastian Romo <sromo@cabonet.net.mx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New Server with New Version

first thing to know is that only -current (3.x series) can run DUAL
processor.

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Sebastian Romo wrote:

> Hi:
> We are located in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico and we are an ISP runing
> FreeBSD versión 2.1. and we have about 550 users.
> We buy a new server Dual Pentium 200 PRO and we install in there the new
> version of FreeBSD 2.2.5. The question is: how we move all users and his
> mail accounts to the new server?
> Is necesary to use adduser one by one or have a command to do that?
> If use a command, is necessary to give new passwords? or is posible to
> translate too?.

copy /etc/master.passwd to the new machine, called /tmp/x
vipw
read in /tmp/x

remove duplicate lines
save and exit

also copy /etc/group and do similar merge

copy the home directories

that should be all.

but 2.2.5 will not run SMP

julian