Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2001 18:47:53 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@smtp.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   firewall kills my dns access ???

Hey again.  Another firewall question.

I have a problem with the firewall setup and DNS servers.  I have the
following, adapted from an online tool:

# forward-only can use regular TCP protocol to forwarders
ipfw add allow udp from $IPADDR 53 to $NAMESERVER_1 53 via
$EXT_INTERFACE out
ipfw add allow udp from $NAMESERVER_1 53 to $IPADDR 53 via
$EXT_INTERFACE in
ipfw add allow tcp from $IPADDR $UNPRIVPORTS to $NAMESERVER_1 53 \
           via $EXT_INTERFACE out
ipfw add allow tcp from $NAMESERVER_1 53 to $IPADDR $UNPRIVPORTS \
           via $EXT_INTERFACE in  established

Seems like a lot of work to me, but can anyone see a problem with
this?  I typically get 3 nameserver IPs from the dhcp server, and I
have a set of these commands for each (ie. NAMESERVER_1, NAMESERVER_2,
etc.).  The problem is that it appears the connection is broken or
disallowed somehow.

Any ideas how this *should* look?

TIA and HAND
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc       leblanc@acadia.ne.mediaone.net
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 ԿԬ

QOTD:
  "Who?  Me?  No, no, NO!!  But I do sell rugs."