Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2012 21:26:22 +0100
From:      Kaya Saman <kayasaman@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is there a way to run FreeBSD ports through port 80?

On 07/12/2012 07:54 PM, Peter Vereshagin wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Why don't you use a portsnap? it's over http...
>
> 2012/07/12 19:01:15 +0100 Kaya Saman <kayasaman@gmail.com> => To Peter Vereshagin :
> KS> I will check it out however and see if that method is best, however
> KS> CVSup would be the best way for us and I'm already looking at this:
> KS>
> KS> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
>
> 1. cvsup is not about comparison to ftp. cvsup is a way to obtain fresh port
> for the program distribution, ie set of patches, list of package's files,
> sample configuration files for the particular program(s) those are not the part
> of the base system but supplied with taking the OS specs in mind.
>
> ftp is a way to obtain a distfile, ie what the 3rd party software developer use
> to distribute. For FreeBSD ports cvsup and ftp are not competent in the daiy
> use as they have different purposes.
>
> Some 3rd party software is released and published authoritatively on ftp only.
> And that is the only problem possible for you on ftp usage by freebsd ports.
> But I believe there is only a few of them you need if any at all.
>
> I guess you may want to download the initial ports tree tarball, the ports.tgz,
> via the ftp. But it's certainly a) available over there via the http and b) is
> outdated and is needed to be updated via the portsnap and/or cvsup.
>
> 2. Use csup from the base system, don't use cvsup from ports if you use its
> protocol. And, portsnap seems to be even more recommended since some days.
>
> KS> which should be enough to get a demo up and running.
>
> A Demo? Am I invited for the show? ;-)
>
> --
> Peter Vereshagin <peter@vereshagin.org> (http://vereshagin.org) pgp: A0E26627

Hi Peter,

portsnap works fine :-)

My issues start coming into play when building the actual port itself.
Ie. fetching the distfile, as you suggested above.

As soon as I start running portmaster -a or a 'make install clean' on
certain ports, the progress just bombs out totally.

It would be really cool if I could find a way to centrally manage all of
this. So perhaps in conjunction with CVSup.....

Something like a Linux repo server if you will - though I mention the
term very loosely.

Regards,

Kaya