Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 1995 12:01:28 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        lyndon@orthanc.com (Lyndon Nerenberg VE7TCP)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: ibcs2(8)

Lyndon Nerenberg VE7TCP writes:

> What's wrong with something like this? It documents the fact that
> iBCS2 support exists, and that it's not for the timid (yet).
>
> .Dd November 27, 1995
> .Dt IBCS2 8
> .Os FreeBSD-Experimental
> .Sh NAME
> .Nm ibcs2
> .Nd load iBCS2 runtime support for SCO and ISC binaries
> .Sh SYNOPSIS
> .Nm ibcs2
> .Sh DESCRIPTION
> The
> .Nm
> utility loads kernel runtime support for iBCS2 compliant programs.
> This runtime support is limited to emulation of the iBCS2
> system call interface, and is far from complete. COFF binaries
> and shared libraries are supported, however no shared libraries
> are provided with the FreeBSD distribution.
> .Sh FILES
> .Bl -tag -width /lkm/ibcs2_coff.o -compact
> .It Pa /lkm/ibcs2_mod.o
> .It Pa /lkm/ibcs2_coff.o
> iBCS2 loadable kernel modules
> .Sh "SEE ALSO"
> .Pa /sys/i386/ibcs2/README.iBCS2 ,

AHA!  This is the documentation that I was looking for.  It's not in
-current: that's the real problem.

> .Xr modload 8 ,
> .Xr lkm 4
> .Sh BUGS
> The emulation is very incomplete.
> .Pp
> Running dynamically linked binaries requires access to an existing
> SCO system from which you can grab the shared libraries.

The term "dynamically linked binaries" suggests dynamically linked
shared libraries.  It might be better to say "shared libraries".  It's
probably also a good idea to mention that the emulator looks for them
in /compat/ibcs2 before looking in /.

> .Pp
> You can't really use this without reading the source code.

Greg