Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2012 16:57:59 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@dougbarton.us>
To:        FreeBSD ports list <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   What good is LIB_DEPENDS= ...:install ??

There is a note about this in the LIB_DEPENDS comment in bpm, but I
don't understand what use this is:

LIB_DEPENDS=    compface:${PORTSDIR}/mail/faces:install

It appears in mail/xfaces, www/thundercache, and www/thundersnarf at
minimum ... that's the result of searching about 1/2 the ports tree for
the pkg-config thing, there may be more examples.

I ask for 2 reasons, the first being that it's not clear to me what good
it is, but more importantly it breaks run-depends-list:

make run-depends-list
xfaces-3.3_5: "install" non-existent -- dependency list incomplete
/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/libXaw
/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/libXmu
/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/libXt
/usr/ports/x11/libICE
/usr/ports/x11/libSM
/usr/ports/x11/libX11
/usr/ports/x11/libXext
/usr/ports/x11/libXpm

I use {all|run|build}-depends-list in portmaster, so the fact that the
necessary lib doesn't show up in the list as a result of this problem
(not sure it's a bug yet) ends up being a problem for portmaster that I
can't see any way to work around.

Insights welcome ....

Doug

--
    If you're never wrong, you're not trying hard enough