Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 1995 17:47:57 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@jhome.DIALix.COM>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/pci if_de.c

> > I think if we're going to distribute "patches", then we can't go past CTM
> > for safety.  You can guarantee that it will apply in it's entireity or
> > not at all...
>
> Unfortunately, this highlights a fundamental brokenness of CTM for
> distributing this sort of material: if the user has changed the file,
> the delta won't apply, even if the patch is to a different part of the
> file and therefore applies cleanly.  Not Good.

While I'm not arguing that CTM *is* the best solution, after a very long
and thoughtful Jordan had a *LONG* time ago (patchkit days), I don't
think it's possible to build a 'simple' system which can get around the
above problem.  The amount of complexity required to build a system
which can detect problems such as this is beyond the scope of this
project, IMHO.  (But, someone feel free to prove me wrong. *grin*)

Basically, I think anyone capable of modifying their own local sources
are capable of hand applying patches, in either CTM deltas or diff form.

Nate