Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 1999 11:02:03 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        Mike Jennings <jennings@post.kosone.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd

On 17 Apr 99, at 18:43, Mike Jennings wrote:

> Did I tell you I printed out the first 160 pages of the handbook to give
> me some guidelines. Tried 3 times to rebuild the kernel, with a little
> better success each time, but it still does not fully compile.

We can help, but only if we know what the problem is.

> Anyway, before I lay $109.00 CDN for the one and only Complete FreeBSD
> Reference book, I would like to get this OS up and working. Is there any
> other sources for information on FreeBSD!

Many, some of which are listed on the FreeBSD site at
http://www.freebsd.org/support.html#web

> I would really like to get this OS up and running. I do not easily give
> up, but I would like to get my server up and running again.

We'll help, but we don't know what the problem is.  But remember to keep
all msgs cc'd to the list.

> ps I selected the Auto configuration for my 1.6Gb partition and since
> trying to rebuild the kernel I seem to have filled the /var directory to
> 101%. Any ideas about that. the /var is currently set to 80Mb.

look in /var/log and see what's accumulated there for starters.

--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary