Date:      Sun, 22 Sep 1996 14:39:12 +0000
From:      "Anil John" <ajohn@cyberforge.com>
To:        bkogawa@primenet.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Popclient--FreeBSD--FWTK

On 20 Sep 96 at 21:02, bkogawa@primenet.com wrote:

> If you do want to pick up mail from three separate accounts using
> your freebsd box, and then use Pegasus to pick up the mail from
> the freebsd box, you'll need the following:
>
> Install and configure POP3 server as per directions.  Install
> POP3 client.
>
> In a scripting language of your choice, use popclient to connect
> to your popmailboxes and get your email.  Have popclient deliver
> this email to your system mailbox, at /var/mail/<username>.
>
> Set your Windows client to use your freebsd username and password,
> and to connect to your freebsd machine for POP mail.
>
> Configure FTWK to allow the connection on the POP3 port directly
> to your FreeBSD machine, instead of using a proxy to the outside
> world.

It works!!!. Thanks Brian..

> Run the script which does pickup every time you want to get your
> mail (or every time you connect your PPP session).

> 1.  It's a security risk to leave your pop account passwords
> sitting in the script on your freebsd machine.  Probably not a
> glaring one, but still a hole.  You can configure the popclients to
> take your password from stdin like passwd and su and the like (this
> is what I do).

I am not all that familiar scripts, so a couple of questions.. From
what you descibed above, is it possible to set up a script that runs
popclient each time pegasus goes to check the mail on my FreeBSD
box..Or I could live with running popclient periodically on my
freebsd box..

> 2.  You may have problems with popclient delivering to
> /var/mail/<username>, although I don't think so.  I don't think
> popclient flocks the mailbox it uses, which means if something
> else tries to deliver at the same time, your mail is probably
> hosed. Deliver to temporary boxes, then use a program that
> understands mailbox locks (procmail? formail? a perl script?) to do
> the delivery from these boxes to avoid this potential catastrophe.

Since one of the reasons I am running this setup is to check
multiple mailboxes, this would be a concern for me...You kind of
lost me above, Currently 'popclient' delivers mail to
/usr/mail/ajohn. Is what you are suggesting that I use popclient to
deliver mail to multiple folders, say one for each account that I
use popclient with, then use some other program like procmail to get
the mail from the multiple folders to 'var/mail/ajohn'?

Anil

CyberForge Group LLC                * Internet Consulting
E-Mail: ajohn@cyberforge.com        * WWW Publishing
410-597-8139                        * LAN & WAN Integration